Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

some things are just scary

for me - it's the jeggings trend.



really, we can add the whole leggings trend in with it.

i ask myself every time i mull over purchasing my first pair of leggings - "what's the big deal? EVERYONE wears them!"

here's the thing. i consider myself knowledgeable about fashion and trends and all that girly fun. i follow many. but i will NOT wear something just because it's splashed all over every fashion magazine on the stand. it's okay to not buy into every single trend that's out there - and that's my justification. i do, however, fear that i could easily go the way of "set in my ways" and be one of those self-proclaimed fashionistas sporting a fashion faux pas equivalent to rocking poofy permed bangs.

but...but...but...

i still want a pair of jeggings. let's face it, skinny jeans are amazing - the whole fitting in my boot without giving me poofy knee is priceless. jeggings can do this for me.

i definitely tried on a pair at target and promptly ripped them off, inside out, throwing them over the stall, fah-reaking out about how terribly unflattering they were on me. my thighs. my thiiiiiighs....are too big. too dimply. too celulite-y. too short. too bulbous. just too damn gross in them. it's upsetting.

damnit.

look at all these lovelies in jeggings ::


i personally love beyonce's look and would under normal circumstances compare our thighs (of course, on me take away all the defined muscle and throw in a dimple or two). she must be wearing some super special, expensive jeggings. they are fab. i'm not feeling fergie's pair or rihanna's (at all), but the rest are fun and not terribly scary - until i put them on.

who's rocking this trend right now? who can say "i live in my leggings/jeggings?" seriously. i want to know. and if you weigh under 120 lbs, no explanation is needed.

14 comments:

Erica said...

Ok, confession. I recently bought into the jegging idea - sorta. I was never a leggings wearer (like you, I wanted to but everytime I tried them on I didn't feel like they were me). However, I read about some Gap jeggings recently, so I tried them out. They are black jeggings, so they really don't look bad. I haevn't worn them yet, because I think I'll really only wear them under boots, so we will have to see how they go. Check gap out though, they aren't expensive and have tons of sizes (i went up a size to wear these bad boys, so beware!) Good luck! I don't think I'll "live" in these, but I think they will be a go-to when I've got boots. Yay!

-Erica

Anonymous said...

This is a look I am not feeling, regardless of how hot of a body the wearer has. I can agree that it looks OK on some people, but wouldn't ever pick the look as something I like or would recommend to anyone.

Now lounging around the house in them or some stirrup leggings might be comfy, so I'm not against them in that aspect...until you go outside. ☺

Erica said...

eeeep i'm not into jeggings. i've seen too many faux pas, not enough well-worns. but i'm also not crazy about regular leggings as pants. especially when you can see through them and know that someone is wearing their Monday panties on Wednesday.

- existenceET.blogspot.com

morgan said...

OMG! I had the same experience w/ a pair of leggings I bought at Target. They were HEINOUS! Basically the part of my body that I work very hard to hide/cover was on display for everyone to see. I wear them around the house now:)

JD said...

I wrote this big long comment about this and it wouldn't let me post. Grr.

JD said...

Oh I see how it is blogger...

So what I said was I bought some black treggings from H&M recently and I will be living in them this fall. They are comfortable and awesome and only $12.95. I also have a pair of jeggings that are super comfy too.

Just say no to see thru leggings. No shirt or dress crap. I will blog about you.. lol

- Joanna, 135 pound jeggings/treggings wearer

Gretchen said...

Well, as Chelsey Handler put it once "i'm a potato sitting on two sticks" Therefore I buy into the whole leggings thing...with caution...! I really want stirups to come back in, hoping that I can pull out my Duran Duran shirt and Madonna bow!
Girl, go try on a pair of leggings at a store other than Target. There are some clothes that just arent meant to be cheap...leggins are one of them. I just bought a good pair of Lauren Conrads at Kohls...they are a bit more structured, but still leggins...I think i may have paid 22.00 for them.

McMel said...

i seriously was about to queue up a post about jeggings! i just hate that word. i haven't seen too many pairs- if you tried on the ones i've seen at target, bah, they are hideous. loft has some, and they look more jeans like with pockets, but i still can't bring myself to try them on- but i do agree with you that they would be awesome for tucking into jeans in the fall. my problem is that if i'm going to wear leggings or jeggings for that matter, i need my shirt to cover my butt. i do love these pants though, which are leggings-ish, but look way more structured: http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=28018&defaultColorNameFromOutfit=Black

i lived in leggings when i was pregnant- i just got to the point where i couldn't even wear pants anymore.

McMel said...

it is totally clear that i cannot type.


one would tuck leggings or jeggings into boots, not jeans

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I finally found a decent pair of "jeggings" that don't look completely heinous one me. They are the Vera Wang line at Kohls; got em' for $20. Wearing them this weekend for a bachelorette party in Atl with a black sequined tank (I would only wear the jeggings w/ a longer top b/c my stomach and my ass are not ready for such tight exposure). I wouldn't mind finding some cute pumps (like Ms Knowles) to wear with them, though........

Unknown said...

As a side note, one=on.

Sorry....cofee's not strong enough this morning. ;)

Unknown said...

Absolutely NOT!
I would look like a big whale in those... never never ever!! lol

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. I weight between 115 and 120 and they still look bad on me :/
I have a really small build but I have some serious calf muscles from running for years that look enormous in jeggings and my thighs are the only area on my body where I store fat. Jeggings make my legs look really large and out of proportion with the rest of my body. I have scrawny arms and a really flat chest and then huge legs.
I don't like this trend haha. Bootcut jeans is the way to go for me :)