Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

more random for your monday

sorry guys - seems these days i'm made up of nothing but random thoughts and clothing posts.  mondays are usually always reserved for the random as i'm recovering from my 5:40 a.m. wake up call...
  • fact - i will have a total hissy fit when i don't get what i want in the decorating department.  it dawned on me, not for the first time, that i'd really like to move our television in between the front windows in our living room.  not only does it fit - perfectly, i measured - it will make the set-up of the room finally make sense to me.   it will also allow the proper space needed for my christmas tree, which is going up here indirectly.  turns out, the husband is not going to move mountains (or cable cords) to make this happen for me, and he's told me the cable company (eff you, charter) will charge upwards of $100.  there has got to be a handy man near who can make this happen for less than that...i think this will be the focus on my days off this week.  my fabulous grandmother suggested we sign up for direct tv (giving them the $100 referral incentive) and someone from direct will come and put my cable where i want it!  ....that's a thought.
  • this is my last 1/2 week at my current company.  i know - a three-week notice is a bit much, but timing really is terrible.  i do have to say that i'm ready to blow this popsicle stand and get on with my new, shiny job.  the anticipation is nearly killing me.  my bosses, of course, think otherwise and are really pushing me to keep doing my job as if i'm never leaving.  the urge to transition some things to other people is strong....and kind of necessary, might i add.  wednesday, please hurry.
  • i blogged on kindredly about the crazy lymph node thing that popped up on my face last winter.  it comes and goes, which would make sense if it were a lymph node, but i thought lymph nodes had designated areas where they generally pop up - the jaw not being one.  the bump sits right on my jaw, and right now it's kind of tender.  truthfully, i'm a little worried and think i should maybe consider seeing a doctor.  my dentist friend told me that she thinks it could be a calcium deposit from my incessant clenching (stems from anything - stress, excitement or anger - i'm looney!).  either way, if i'm going to the doctor, i need to get that done this week.  i'm not really into asking for time off in the first couple of weeks on the job.  but what doctor to i see?  the general practitioner has told me it's a lymph node. 
  • this bullet is kind of gross - and you know how much i hate for people to talk about their children's "issues" and bodily functions on Facebook and Twitter (although, this is my blog, and I reserve the right to write about poop all day every day if i want to), but i have to get some input.  mia, my oldest beagle-child, has started eating poop.  correction - she's always eaten poop, but it tapered off enough to be a non-issue.  well, she's started back again, and soon after she eats it, she comes in the house and pukes it up...everywhere.  on the hardwoods (nbd), on the carpet (not cool), on the bed (holy shit, i will kill you), and on the bed while we're sleeping (dead. dog-child.)  let me just say that naturally, it smells like shit (duh), but i mean, it's worse... the husband and i could be dead to the world, and when she pukes in the bed, we shoot out of bed.  this has lead to constantly washing the duvet, changing the sheets in the middle of the night, and shampooing the carpet at 2 a.m. (on a school night, no less).  i know the obvious answer to this is to kick her out of the bed, and we've done that.  being a spoiled beagle-child, she doesn't believe in sitting on the floor.  she goes straight to the couch where she will puke as well...on my white couch,  so i've washed the cushion covers on the couch at randoms hours as well.  i've googled it, and i get results from not getting enough nutrients (my ass - her food is holistic and costs me $50/bag) to being bored (!!!!).  either way, it has to stop.  dog owner readers - anyone dealing with this?  please! wisdom!
  • we had friends over this past saturday, and i don't know how it's possible that i'm still recovering from it.  we even gained an hour with falling back.  torture...today. is. torture.
  • i'm throwing around the idea of getting acrylic nails just like my current boss - see photo... i spend just as much money getting my nails repainted weekly (and i always upgrade to a manicure because i feel like they are judging my cuticles and are annoyed they have to waste their time on a $3-5 job...and the massage is always a plus).  my cuticles are going to hate me because of all of this cuticle cutting going on WEEKLY, so i can just bite the bullet and get short acrylics, and the paint will stay.  gel nails have not successfully made it to the suburbs, and i'm kind of getting used to this place near my house since i'm not totally sure if my lunch hour at my new job permits nail appointments (i'm sure it does, but just being prepared).  i'm also coming off of a great run with essie's ballet slippers, so i wouldn't mind making that my acrylics' signature color (that might even be what my boss has on here).  if i was feeling frisky, i could also have them go a different color - it's not like i'm getting claws or french manicure!  what do you guys think?  ruin my current nails (which are great) to save some money and time? 
  • i got all caught up on Real Housewives of Atlanta yesterday.  i didn't get up from the couch for something like five hours, so i caught the marathon. i have to say that i don't mind nene's nose, and i feel like her plastic surgeon did a really good job... and i want to slap phaedra.  what was all that mess with the former destiny's child singer?  are you a lawyer or a publicist?  oh, and you should know how far along you are in your pregnancy.  and please get off of your southern woman kick. 
  • also made the mistake of watching The Time Traveler's Wife yesterday.  seriously?  weird.   i also watched The Lovely Bones.  Alice Sebold is probably one of my favorite authors, and that book totally goes down as one of my favorites.  a bit weird, but mark walberg is gorgeous.  the colors in the movie were really pretty too...
that's all for now...random, but seriously, i need opinions on the acrylic nail debate and what to do about my disgusting dog.  

    7 comments:

    Serendipity. said...

    don't do the acrylics-trust. i always go back and forth with them and acrylics always end up causing me more money. not to mention it hurts like hell when you get fill ins or they break... uggggh. mani's are so much more relaxing and getting a mani gives me a little bi-weekly spa trip where as acyrlics i always dreaded. and fun fall colors don't look as cute on fake nails you know?

    Unknown said...

    Phaedra is terrible; I mean, by far the worst. Like the new girl that's a model- she seems somewhat normal.

    Still haven't seen The Lovely Bones, but loved the book as well. The book, The Time Traveler's Wife was WAY better than the movie, but I guess that's to be expected.

    A said...

    Serendipity - my gut keeps telling me it's a no-go as well. the nail girl was right there on saturday, willing to do it, and i still needed time to think. they are even running a 10% off sale right now because the new management rawks.

    hayley - she's terrible! i thought she was cute and quirky at first - four episodes later, i was d.o.n.e. with her. i also like the new model girl...i pass her boo's bar every day on my way to work. i thought jamie fox owned it because his picture is in all the windows. i didn't feel like i wasted my time on The Lovely Bones, so i suppose i recommend it.

    McMel said...

    hey, i love short acrylics. if i could afford them, i would keep them. i have really bad fingernails that just break all the time, so my nails always look nice if i keep them the like that. i would always get them and keep them for a while, but haven't had them since i was just married. if you ever go to conyers, i used to get pink gel acrylics all the time there! there was a place about 2 miles from where i used to live on ga 20- tips to toes. i don't know, i never had trouble w\ mine breaking- and i could go 2-3 weeks before needing a fill.

    Les said...

    Ash-find a salon that does OPI new Gel Nails or 'gelish'. It's new and fabulous. It's similar to gel nails but it comes off like polish when you're ready to take it off and wont damage your nails. You manicure will last for two weeks.

    Look into it...

    Kim said...

    Poor doggy. You could try a supplement--they have them for dogs. Maybe she has a absorption problem.

    A said...

    Les - yes....I need this. The salon I go to in ATL does it, but the past two weeks have been so busy - impossible to leave. Since you're the polish expert, what OPI hue is like Essie's ballet slippers?

    Kim - what is absorption? oh oh..hold on, LMGTFY - LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR MYSELF...geez. thanks for the tip! :)