Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

work wear daily

i can't express how tired i am of my closet right now. i just wish this time didn't come around annually. the feeling like i just want to go in and rip everything down is overwhelming. i want to scrutinize every piece, and if it hasn't been worn in six months, get rid of it.

unlike my usual approach to dressing myself, i'm kind of more thinking of separating work and play. none of this shopping for things i can wear both places anymore. i think i wear things out this way, and i tend to wear the old favorites over and over. it's time to focus on the work wardrobe.

there are too many days when i've gotten dressed in the dark or half asleep and swear my outfit was totally presentable, only to get to work and see that i look like a hot mess.

this season and from now on, i vow to buy things that look great, flatter my body, and focus on looking like my uber-professional office environment. if we want to call it that, we have to look like it, right?

so, i've thrown together various pieces for work. some of these will most definitely not make it into my work wardrobe as they are upwards of $200/piece, but some will...

for fall/winter season, i'm going to focus on skirts and fun tights. i always tend to buy wide leg pants, and i end up looking ridiculous. i have big thighs - it's an issue for me, and i'll complain all day about how my calves are totally proportional, but my thighs are a whole new ballgame. the best way to combat this issue is wearing skirts, and there are so many fabulous ones out there. some of my favorites are below.

click to make photos larger

1. boulee kendel studden skirt - revolve clothing - $114
2. lightweight wool charcoal pencil skirt - banana republic - $79.50
3. textured power skirt - bcbg - $148 (is this not showing up? click here to view)
4. novelty grosgrain pencil skirt - the limited - $69.90
5. cricket match skirt - modcloth - $41.99
6. abstract print woven skirt - love 21, forever 21 - $17.99
7. asymmetrical pleated dress - love 21, forever 21 - $29.80
8. paper bag skirt in black - banana republic - $59.50
9. zip back and relax skirt - modcloth - $42.99

in my particular role, my boss likes for us to wear "suits" daily. in the event a client were to call in and want to meet a recruiter, she'd obviously want us to not look like raggamuffins. not only that, we see candidates daily, and we have to set an example if we're going to require they wear a suit (and sometimes we have to tell the unemployed people to go buy one) to visit our clients. while she's lenient on it being an actual suit - thank gawd - a jacket is pretty much manditory monday through thursday. friday can kind of be a free for all, but we still have to keep it classy. long story longer, i'm always looking for blazers. the crazier the cut, the better; although, my boss may not agree.

10. city synthetic jacket - ann taylor loft - $128
11. show jumping blazer - modcloth - $53.99
12. darlin blazer - theory - $395 (ughhhhhhhhhhhh)


13. satin layers top - twelve by twelve, forever 21 - $32.00
14. breezy chiffon top - love 21, forever 21 - $27.80
15. silk ruffle flounce top - love 21, forever 21 - $27.80
16. codey - theory - $200

i love the idea of the cropped pant suit. i'm 5'2" so i'm not sure this would work on me and my thighs, but it's something i'm definitely going to try. i was surprised the limited had shorts in their suiting section but not cropped pants. whatev - i've just featured a couple of pairs that pretty much look exactly alike...

17. lison c - theory - $255
18. parker cropped skinny pants - bcbg - $138

maybe i can take all of the clothes i'm about to boot to plato's closet to help pay for all the newness.

2 comments:

McMel said...

nice picks. tg i work from home. and i swear, we must be inhabiting the exact SAME body. it scares me. it's like listening to me talk about me.

Erica said...

I apologize, as this is totally irrelevant from your post of today, however I feel it is necessary I share this pic with you! It is a follow up from a post you did the other day about weirdo Gaga. Check it, she's pretty much nude crowd surfing. So awkward.

http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20413010,00.html#20829263